NEWS! ZAPTEC is launching charging on IT 3-phase for larger charging systems
ZAPTEC is the first to launch three-phase charging on the IT grid. All ZAPTEC Pro systems used in larger charging stations will also now support three-phase charging on the IT grid. In Norway, we have two types of power grid: the IT grid with 230 volts and the TN grid with 400 volts. IT grids are not widely used elsewhere in the world, which means that vehicle manufacturers have not made it a priority.
Today we are delighted to introduce a firmware and software update which will update your charging system and enable it to charge using three phases on the 230 volt IT grid, ensuring that power metering is correct on all phases. This function is only available for EVs which support it.
At the moment, we know that the following models will support three-phase charging on the IT grid: The Tesla Model X, Model S, Model 3, Audi e-tron and newer Volkswagen e-golf models. If you have an Audi e-tron this gives you the fastest charging. If you do not have one of these models, then three-phase charging could have a negative effect on your charging speed, so we recommend that you do not yet activate this function.
We are delighted to offer many of our major customers even faster charging for their electric vehicles. When you buy ZAPTEC, we want this to be synonymous with our vision to provide the smartest, fastest and safest charging on the market, says Knut Braut, ZAPTEC’s Chief Technology Officer.
If you would like to activate three-phase charging, just contact your charging station’s administrator. How to activate three-phase charging as administrator:
- Log into the ZAPTEC Portal
- Select the charging station on which you want to activate three-phase charging
- Under the charging station’s settings:
- Verify that the charging station has firmware version 220.127.116.11 or newer, and if not, update the charging station’s firmware
- Change the setting ‘max phases’ from 1 to 3 phases
- Click Save. The next time a vehicle is connected for charging, it will be supplied with three phases.
We know that some of our users have been waiting for some time for this.